We’re Friendly and

We Love Food

New Zealand is a pretty sweet place. It’s known as one of the safest, greenest and friendliest countries on earth and when you come to study here, you’ll see why. Students come from all over the world to New Zealand for a taste of our affordable top-quality education, cultural diversity and Instagram-worthy landscapes.


Apart from our stunning landscapes, New Zealand is also famous for the quality of our food and wine, sustainability, organic farming, and traditional techniques that all form part of our rich and diverse food culture.  We love sharing food and making people feel right at home.

When you study at the Culinary Collective, you will get the chance to experience this hospitality, to see the source of some of the best ingredients NZ has to offer, and to taste all kinds of amazing food as part of your practical training.

You will also get to learn at our campuses based in Auckland, the fast-growing city in New Zealand and ranked as one of the most liveable cities in the world, or in Hamilton, a vibrant and multi-cultural city in the heart of the Waikato.


Information for International Students

Find out everything you need to know, from how to get a study visa, to looking for accommodation, and preparing for study at The Culinary Collective.

The Culinary Collective is New Zealand’s premium culinary school located in Auckland and Hamilton. We are a member of the NZMA family, a Category One Provider, and form part of the largest vocational education group in New Zealand, UP Education.

If you’d like to come to New Zealand and study with us, tap the button below. There are certain entry requirements and English language expectations for studying in New Zealand. We can explain these and help you with them if need be.

Enrol now

Students need to be 18 years of age or older to study at The Culinary Collective.  You also must meet the requirements of Immigration New Zealand and have a valid student visa to study in the country. Immigration New Zealand offers various visas that allow you to go to school, take a course, or do other training. 

If you want to study for less than three months, you may be able to study with a visitor visa. This can only be used if the time you will study is no more than 12 weeks. If you want to study for longer than this, you need to apply and receive a student visa before you start studying.

A valid student visa for New Zealand needs to have the right details:

- The correct name of the college you plan to study at

- The correct name of the course/qualification you will study

- Name the location of the campus where you will study

- Show a visa expiry date that is in the future

How to apply for a visa

You can apply for your visa by tapping the button or with Immigration NZ. To get a student visa, you need to be enrolled in an approved course at an educational institution that has been approved to offer that course.  If you are already in New Zealand, we can help you with your student visa application at The Culinary Collective campus.

Download a guide to applying for a student visa here and download a student visa checklist here.

Apply for Student Visa

We want to make sure you are safe, happy and cared for while studying in New Zealand. You do not need to have accommodation booked before you arrive in New Zealand, but we highly recommend you do.

You can choose from different accommodation options organised by our parent company UP Education, or you can organise your own place to live in Auckland.

You can choose to:

- Live with a homestay

- Rent a student apartment

- Live in independent accommodation like a flat

- Live with your parents' choice of caregiver

- Live with your parents if you live in New Zealand

Go Flatting

'Flatting' is a New Zealand saying that means living with other people in rented accommodation. It's often more affordable than living on your own because you share living costs with other people - the 'flatmates' who live on the flat. You can find 'flatmate wanted' ads online or on physical notice boards around the city. 

Links to look for a flat in Auckland

- Flat Finder

- Trade Me

- NZ Flatmates

Stay in a homestay

A homestay is a great way to start your New Zealand experience. It literally means 'staying at home' with a New Zealand family. We recommend that all international students choose to live in a homestay for at least their first three months in New Zealand.

The benefits of a homestay

- Safety. The homestay family can help you find your way around Auckland and give advice on living in New Zealand

- English practice. Talking to your homestay family improves your vocabulary and helps clarity of speech, an important part of living and studying in an English-speaking country

- Routine. You will have regular meals and a daily routine. Study requires energy and focus, so it’s important that you eat a regular and balanced diet of healthy home-cooked food

If you choose a homestay, you pay us your accommodation money and we pay the homestay contractor every two weeks to cover your accommodation costs. You need to know that homestay accommodation is only arranged for the international student who is studying with us. Sorry, but we do not place partners or parents/relatives of students in a homestay.

Homestays are safe

UP Education and our contractor make sure all homestays are safe and suitable for our students. Each home is inspected and families are interviewed before students are placed with them. Students are also visited at least three times a year to make sure their experience remains positive.

Rent an apartment or house

You can also rent properties through real estate agents. If you do this, you'll need to sign atenancy contract with the landlord (property owner) and pay a financial bond as security. The landlord will deposit this bond with Tenancy Services and when you finish renting the property you should get a refund of your bond if you have looked after the house and paid your rent in full.

International students do not get access to free healthcare services provided by the NZ Government. As part of your student visa, you need to have a complete medical and travel insurance policy. This needs to be also approved by the Culinary Collective before you can start studying.

Check that your medical and travel insurance is valid

While studying in New Zealand, international students must have the right amount of medical and travel insurance - and it needs to be up to date. Make sure you check to see if the insurance you have is valid while you are in New Zealand.

Accident insurance

If you have an accident, you will be covered by the Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC). This is for all New Zealand citizens, residents and temporary visitors in New Zealand, but you need to know that you may still be responsible for all other medical and related costs. 

If you buy insurance at home

You need to show us evidence of your travel insurance and medical cover. If you are buying an insurance policy in your home country, ask for a version translated into English so we can check that everything is correct and that you have enough protection. Your insurance policy should cover you for:

- Travel to and from New Zealand

- The costs of medical treatment in New Zealand for the time you are here

- Your personal belongings that you bring with you

You can also buy insurance through us

The Culinary Collective can also help secure an insurance policy for you and arrange insurance cover from 31 days before your course starts, including transit from students country of origin to New Zealand.

For more information contact your local campus. 

If you have a student visa, you may be able to work part-time up to 20 hours per week and full-time during scheduled holidays. Most of our courses give you the flexibility to do this. If you have your student visa already, check it to see if you can work while you are studying in New Zealand - and when you can work too.

If you plan to work, you will need to register for tax and get an IRD number from Inland Revenue. 

Working after you finish studying

When you have completed your study at the Culinary Collective you may be able to apply for a post-study work visa. Learn more about post-study work visas.

You can find out what it's like to work in New Zealand, and what minimum pay rates are at Employment NZ.

Flywire is a safe and convenient way to make international payments. Depending on your location, payment options can include local bank transfer (telegraphic transfer), credit card, e-payments, e-wallets, and more. Receive email/SMS text alerts updating you on the status of your payment, or track the progress of your payment online or in Flywire’s app. If you need help to complete your payment, contact flywire.com/support.

Flywire Logo

Make a payment

We have partnered with Sonder, a 24/7 personal safety and wellbeing service, to support all our international students. The Sonder app is for personal devices and has a number of features, like “Track My Journey” and “Check On Me”, that will help students live and study in New Zealand with confidence - if you are walking alone at night, going on a first date, or meeting up with a stranger to buy or sell goods, for example. Additionally, if you are feeling stressed, anxious, lonely or simply don't know who to turn to, you can speak to Sonder’s multilingual support team anytime via live chat or phone, and they can even send in-person assistance if you need it. You will receive an activation email or text shortly before orientation. If you don't get your email or text, you will be given a code to use at orientation.

Check it out

Sonder Logo

We’re committed to keeping you safe while you study. 

The Culinary Collective and other UP Education colleges are signatories to the The Education (Pastoral Care of Tertiary and International Learners) Code of Practice 2021. The Code is designed to ensure international students are well informed, safe and properly cared for. It is published by the New Zealand Ministry of Education and administered by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA).

Read the Code of Practice and our responsibilities to you.

We know you'll have an incredible time while studying with us in New Zealand. However, if you are unhappy about something to do with the course or your experience, you need to tell us. To make a complaint, the first person to talk to is your course tutor. If they cannot resolve your problem you can then take it to the Head of Faculty or the Campus Manager.

They will discuss the problem with you and if necessary any other people involved in an attempt to solve it. If the complaint is unable to be resolved satisfactorily, it can then be taken to the Head of Operations.

If still not resolved by us, then the complaint can be taken to NZQA - the New Zealand Qualifications Authority. This government organisation can offer an independent assessment of your complaint and will either investigate your concerns or advise you what you can do next. You can phone NZQA on 0800 697 296 or visit this website

If you have a financial or contract dispute with us, NZQA will refer it to iStudent Complaints. This is an independent service with experience in helping people to resolve disputes. Learn more about them at https://www.istudent.org.nz

UP Education - International Centre

Email: international@up.education

Telephone: +64 9 307 5399



Ready to take the next step?