This course expands on our Level 4 bakery course and will give you an awesome range of skills in advanced patisserie techniques, including how to make artisan breads, pastries, tarts, gateaux and more.
Our Level 5 baking diploma, will give you a range of advanced patisserie skills and techniques. This is an ideal course if you already have baking experience or have completed our Level 4 and are ready to step into a supervisory role.
While you create mouth-watering gateaux and torte cakes, yeast goods and other delicious desserts, you’ll learn what it takes to manage a bakery, including operating procedures and the laws and standards that people in operational roles need to follow.
We’ll teach you how to manage staff and how to put in place the right staffing strategies to meet production targets.
As part of the course, you’ll have an opportunity to secure a 5-week internship working in a commercial kitchen or bakery where you’ll gain invaluable industry experience and connections.
Expand your skill set as you learn how to prepare and make a wide range of advanced patisserie and yeast goods.
Learn what it takes to manage a bakery
How to manage staff and to meet production targets.
Have fun during your study on a foodie field trip to see where some of the food or ingredients you work with come from.
You’ll have an opportunity to secure an internship where you’ll gain invaluable industry experience.
Fill in your details below and we will send you more info.
New Zealand Diploma in Cookery (Advanced)(Level 5) (Patisserie Strand)
At the start of the course, domestic applicants must:
- Be a minimum of 17 years old at the start of the course.
- Have NCEA Level 2 or equivalent, or a New Zealand Certificate in Baking (Level 4), New Zealand Certificate in Cooking (Level 4) or equivalent or industry experience.
- Attend an interview.
All international students must:
- Be a minimum of 18 years old at the start of the course.
- Have English language proficiency: If English is your second language, you need an English level of 5.5 IELTS or equivalent with no band score lower than 5 (other English tests or evidence of your English language ability may be approved as advised by NZQA).
- Have travel and medical insurance and a valid visa.
Course costs for New Zealand domestic students are available here.
Course costs for International students are available here.
If you’re planning to start tertiary study or training for the first time you may be eligible for fees-free. Ask one of our course advisors to help or visit the Fees Free website.
If you meet certain conditions you may be eligible for a student loan and allowances.
Become a patisserie chef or a skilled baker ready to make your mark in the industry
Work in restaurants
Work in craft bakeries
Work in cake shops
Work in hotels
Work for bakery product manufacturers